When on 7. When the legendary adler locomotive steamed from nurnberg to furth in december 1835, there were only a few optimists who thought the triumphant advance of the railroad was possible. Almost 60 years later, europe was covered with a widely ramified rail network. Industrialization experienced through "rolling progress an unexpected upswing.
The decisive factor for the development of the railroad was steam power, which was technically implemented by the englishman james watt as early as 1769, thus ushering in a new era. The mobile source of energy from now on promoted the ancient agricultural and artisanal society to the industrial society of the modern era. And stockheim, which was connected to the rail network exactly 150 years ago, was also involved in this upswing at an early stage.
Joseph von swaine never lets up
with the construction of the ludwig-sud-north railroad, the rail line reached the hochstadt/marktzeuln station as early as 1846. But as early as 1842, mine owner baron joseph von swaine (stckheim) had vigorously pushed for a connection to stockheim. It came first to an intermediate draw. In 1846, the mine owners von swaine and von weib from the stockheim and neuhaus coal mines had built a coal loading station at the hochstadt station.
But joseph von swaine did not let up. In 1853 he had another advance in "railroad construction" undertaken. He proposed the construction of a private horse-drawn railroad from hochstadt to stockheim. However, the royal bavarian ministry of the interior and finance rejected this plan.
Plans for the future
In order to make the plans for the future more vivid, the authors of a memorandum drew up a "happy picture of stockheim as a future industrial location": an iron rolling mill with all the adjoining buildings – similar to the one in neighboring neuhaus – was to be built. Glass chutes, which process the coal, have been created. Blast furnace, puddle furnace were smoking and the domestic industry will not miss stockheim. The barges that brought the slate from the ducal slate quarries near lehesten to stockheim transported 100,000 quintals of slate.
The extraction of the slate and the shipment could certainly be increased threefold if the railroad project came to fruition, according to the plausible arguments of the supporters. In 1859, the intervention of the influential baron theodor von cramer-klett brought about a turnaround. The industrial sector has made a contribution to the "stockheim" project no less than 1.2 million guilders available for disposal. But the kronach city council had also left no stone unturned to get the connection as soon as possible. A revolutionary development was in the offing.
Stockheim is lagging behind
In retrospect, the fight for the line appears interesting. For everything were made plans. Uber nordhalben wanted to reach eichicht and saalfeld. Others wanted to go through wallenfels in the direction of the courtyard. But finally those who wanted to stay in kronach-stockheim-ludwigsstadt won, whereby the coal and the slate as well as the attitude of the city of kronach were the decisive factors.
While already on the 15. In december 1860, a large crowd in kronach celebrated the first railroad train, but stockheim had to wait almost 27 months for the connection.
The reason: further construction from gundelsdorf to stockheim failed for the time being due to the refusal of the baron von wurtzburg to sell his land north of gundelsdorf. It was not until he loved to play his ties in munich and the line was relocated above gundelsdorf to hablach that construction could be continued. The hablach landowners, however, were not pleased about it. After a lengthy expropriation process, a contract was signed in april 1862 to continue the line to stockheim.
The main road must make way
The gap with stockheim was bridged surprisingly quickly without the need for any major technical aids. Already on 10. January 1863 the first test runs took place. The population turned upside down. Eventually, this "tremendous progress" had to be first had to be coped with mentally. In march 1863, the burghers celebrated the opening of the entire hochstadt-stockheim line in a ceremonial setting. The mine owners could breathe a sigh of relief. Initially, three pairs of trains ran daily. The scheduled journey time between hochstadt and stockheim was 70 minutes at that time. The considerable investment ensured an economic upswing. Above all, the coal mining industry profited from the railways.
At that time, more than 700 miners were employed in six mines. When the spacious stockheim railroad station was put into operation, it was still surrounded by fields and meadows. But this situation did not last long, because shortly after the expansion of the railroad, a drastic trench relocation followed. Until then, the main road led via reitsch, wolfersdorf to neukenroth. In 1868, this route was shortened considerably by a straight road (now federal road 85) to hablach.
The railroad station was now easily accessible for everyone. Soon several houses were grouped around the once three-story station building (number 52). The "zur eisenbahn" inn had already been built a year earlier with the house number 49. Another striking point was the inn "zur post", which was only a few meters to the north, opened by christian specht in 1880. The major breakthrough, however, did not come until the sigwart& glass factory was founded mohrle: the number of inhabitants grew from 500 to 1000 between 1870 and 1900.
The volume of coal also developed enormously: the coal mines and the numerous slate transports from lehesten to stockheim caused a boom. This is shown in the "official traffic survey" the royal bavarian transport authority in 1877. Thus, with a freight volume of 1.4 million quintals, the mining community was in 15th place among the bavarian railroad stations. Place.
An important transhipment center
In 1892, stockheim still ranked 78th among the 642 railroad stations on the right bank of the rhine in bavaria, with 4055 wagons (200 hundredweight each). Place. At first, there were five tracks, a reception building, a loading hall, a railroad maintenance building, a turntable for turning the locomotives, and a locomotive shed on the station grounds. A track was used to load the coal. However, this situation was to change fundamentally from 1885 onward, with the construction of the glass chute – initially located at the castle – and the wire ropeway to the "maxschacht" from 1881 onward and after neuhaus, additional loading tracks were required. The station grew and grew.
And progress was unstoppable. The stockheim-ludwigsstadt section was completed on 8. August, the section ludwigsstadt-probstzella on the 1. October 1885 opened. The rough breakthrough for the stockheim railroad station came in 1901. The mining community was connected to the bavarian network in the area of lauscha-sonneberg, sonneberg-coburg, sonneberg-eisfeld and erfurt. This connection was completed on 1. June 1901 with the start of railroad service between stockheim and neuhaus produced. The local train station then experienced its bleeding days. All D trains to and from berlin stopped in stockheim the mining community had become an important transportation hub.
The high point was followed by a rapid decline
And until the 1. May 1905 saw the completion of the much-needed double-track line extension. The munich-berlin line gained in importance as a result. The traffic volume for the year 1913 was 49,775 tickets, 11,559 tons of good in dispatch and 31,534 tons of good in receipt. On the munich-berlin route, twelve passenger trains, four express trains and two D trains were running every day. 18 passenger trains had to be dispatched to and from sonneberg. That changed abruptly with the mobilization on 2. August 1914. The D-train stops were dropped from this point on completely.
On 9. October 1978 the decline of the railroad in stockheim was visually highlighted: the stately station building was demolished. Shortly afterwards, the two signal boxes and the good hall disappeared. Already in 1963, the former water tower, which was necessary for the locomotives, had breathed its last. And after 1990 there was a further jerking of the rails.